[Tier III RP Faction] Kleriel Imperium

Official statement of the Kleriel Imperium:

Henceforth, the imperium recognises the so called ‘‘indipendant’’ nation of the Grimguard as but another member of The Northern Realm. Arguing that, as the Grimguard are but a faction of pure mercenaries who earn their keep by serving the NR, writing pleas for aid to the NR when they find themselves in a tough spot, and publicly state their loyalty to the NR, serves to show that they rely on the NR heavily, if not entirely, and are thus declared unworthy of sovereignty and independent rule by the imperium.

Furthermore, Kleriel will hold the NR directly responsible for any moves, incidents, or other the Grimguard might make or cause.

So I’ve taken the time to draw up what i actually imagine the Keelish to look like:

Inspiration:

• Face = Mass Effect’s Turian + Wildstar’s Mechari (female).
  • Skull & tentacles = One of the humanoid racial portraits in Stellaris.
  • Eyes = What i imagine Mass Effect’s Quarians have.

Took me a whole hour to get this how i liked it, would have coloured it to the many variations the Keelish skin tone can be, but that i could not get anywhere close to how i would like it, sadly. So ill just keep the old portraits in the main wiki as an example.

Awesome! This’ll help loads, should we ever write an episode!

Serious question. If a human and a member of the keelish were to interact how offensive would it be for a human to ‘handle’ those tentacles on the back of a keelish head? Would it be the equivalent as if you played with their hair or would it be considered more intimately inappropriate?

Good question. Also, if you keelish leegionaries are so good, how are they that good? They’re weaker, but are they faster?

Another question linked to Jon’s, what is the purpose of the tentacles? Do they provide additional balance? Are they a sensory organ? Are they remnants of the under-water days of the Keelish (they do look slightly like UV-creatures)?

@ironly
If a human came along and out of awe and/or curiosity, began to ‘play’ with one of the keelish’es tentacles, … idk how ‘appropriate’ it is for humans that don’t know each other at all to go about starting touching each others hair, but it would be weird. Inappropriately weird. Though we feel our tentacles about in the same manner than humans feel hair, even though the tentacles are made of flesh, they don’t have any nerves. And if we happen to loose any of them at any point, which we do, they do regrow.

@SirGeorgar
That is a cultural trait from the beginning of keelish civilisation. When we were a young race still playing with wooden and stone tools, the hellspawn incursions that come in from the west were devastating to us, as where we are somewhat weaker physically to humans, the hellspawn are stronger than humans. Without any good equipment, or and fortiffications, we had to rely on our numbers to survive, and many keelish died every year at each incursion, forcing us to do everything in our power to prepare for the next one, including teaching children how to fight.

Eventually when our military prowess grew, our equipment got better, after we began building forts and castles along the frontier, and the advent of gunpowder, things have become significantly easier for us, but the ‘‘train kids from when they are young’’ bit stuck. Now considering that children are taught how to defend themselves from an early age, them needing to serve in the army for at least a few decades, and keelish having a very long lifespan over which they could have fought against many incursions, you can begin to see how all this time, pressure, and dedication could lead to the perfectly honed soldiers that Kleriel boasts we have.

Also, yes, what we lack in mass we make up for in agility, and keelish possessing a higher intelligence also means that our tacticians and generals are no pushovers either.

@Kung
As i said, the tentacles are redundant, they don’t feel them any more than you feel your hair. You could imagine them to be a sort of a filter (more like a tentacle pest that gets in their way) to keep insect life and such away from their primary breathing organs, as well as shield them from the elements somewhat, as i am sure you’ve noticed, they lack a nose.

“And if we happen to loose any of them at any point, which we do, they do regrow.”

Now I imagine Kleriel cities as dirty places with weird bits of sausage everywhere.

I meant during battle or somewhere, they don’t just fall off :stuck_out_tongue:

lol so ur a fish with dicks on its head very nice

Okay, good answer. It’s kinda the way my character got trained, except I wasn’t a little bit weaker to begin with. What tactics do you use? Roman formation? We can talk about ’ in ooc if you want. I’m a military history nut, so if you want, I can help figure out a nice set of formations.
@Aragottix

I’m not saying this to try and figure out you plans, I’m just curious.

Well Jon, if you’ve watched Rick and Morty you would know doing such a thing would be quite - arousing - to an alien.

We like to use a combination of roman and late medieval tactics. Where we lack in strength we make up for it in agility and adaptability. We need to especially when fighting foes larger than ourselves, like the hellspawn of the west, but handing over my custom crafted idea of how Keelish handle army formation would be unwise, so just hope you will never need to see it be used against you.

So you use a combo of spears, tower shields, muskets, and horsemen? Okay that makes sense. Except the Roman tactics didn’t give a great deal of agility, making it counter intuitive to your original point. If their super fast and agile, why use a formation at all? Fight your opponent in broken ground, i.e. forest and hills, and surround each enemy individually. Then take him out fast and move on to the next. Use small groups of say, 5-10 guys, and don’t get caught in a large scale melee involving 500 men for example.

Muskets not existing, we use a combination of spearmen-at-arms, pikemen, bowmen, and men-at-arms. Depending on the situation and or size of army, the bowmen can either be at the back of it, or blend with pikemen to form a pike-and shot formation. I’m pretty sure sticking together would mean strength in numbers for us, rather than have our warriors face their foes individually. Our armor is somewhat lighter to suit us compared to ordinary steel plate or chainmail humans use, allowing for better manoeuvrability, the same goes for our weapons, but it does not benefit us in attempts at piercing the enemy’s armor in single combat unless we were to tire him out a bit first. Not a very efficient way to do battle.

See, the problem with most bows is that they won’t do shit against an armoured enemy. This was one of the main reasons that crossbows and later firearms gained such popularity. Chainmail, perhaps, can be penetrated even if usually a heavy quilted jacket was worn underneath that would add further strengthh to the armour and helped deal with the impact force of the arrow. While both heavy war-bows and crossbows could penetrate such armour, it took years of training and great logistics and resupply services to let a man have and keep the physical strength and training to proficiently use a bow whose draw-weight was between 50 and 90 kg. Peasants with smaller bows were usually entirely ineffective against any kind of armour.

Most plate mail, however, stopped an arrow cold. Especially the more advanced later models that used sloped plates to divert the force of an arrow. Even crossbows had trouble penetrating that. During late medieval times, the heavily armoured knights usually did not bother with shields anymore due to the ineffectiveness of enemy projectile weapons. They fought with pole-arms and warhammers that were, through concussive force, capable of wounding or killing someone though their armour. Look up a picture of a bec-de-corbin to see what I’m talking about. Hand-to-hand combat during that period heavily focused on either blunt weapons or on striking the weak points in the enemy’s armour - joints, groin, neck. Unless your archers are capable of consistently shooting knights a hundred meters away in the neck, the ‘shot’-part of your pike-and-shot formations is not going to accomplish much.

Canons.
Crossbows with a drawback mechanism perhaps?

No meant gang up on individual enemy soldiers. Attack in groups of ten against ansingle enemy, overwhelm single units with overwhelming force, and don’t fight heavily armored knights and infantry, or you screwed.

That wouldn’t be very doable in mid battle, how would the men coordinate who exactly to gang up on when there’s thousands of us vs thousands of them? And the answer to heavy armor is heavy weapons, a warhammer always works.

Keelish armies aren’t exactly pushovers either, as i said before, we aren’t weaker on the level where if we punch you it tickles you, but if you punch us, we die. We are tall and rather slim, we have a high centre of gravity. It’s like how dwarves are sturdier due to their low centre of gravity, as they are small and wide.

We prefer lighter armor because it allows for better manoeuvrability, you can bet that we too have heavily armored men at the front of an armada, but those are there to take the initial blow of an enemy’s charge, those being pikemen. While the front row spearmen-at-arms would be forming a heavy shield wall for the pikemen to lean their pikes over, as well as their own shorter spears for quick short range adjustments. All of this to do as much damage to an enemy charge as possible, if they don’t stop because they wouldn’t want to run in to a literal wall of spears and pikes, in which case, the spearman can pick up and bring the wall of spears to them instead :wink:

Softening up the enemy with artillery fire before that point is also considered crucial to warfare, as it could mean the difference between victory or defeat.