[RP Faction] The Valkorian Empire

Valkorian Empire

Valkorians are a energetic race of humans, who share a equal love of power, wealth and the sea. A highly educated race, they are fluent in both the arts of science, and of war. Multiple academies churn out a large number of smart and diligent officers and teachers.

1. History
  2. Structure
  3. Military
  4. Fundamentals, Culture, and Economy
  5. Technology
  6. Description
    7.Diplomacy
  7. Important People

The history of the Valkor began hundreds of years ago, in a small ring of mountains, circling a large, crystal clear lake. This was a time when there were no great kingdoms, and only tribes of men roamed the land, lawless and destructive. The Valkor had fled from these tribes at the beginning of the world, and fleeing their wilder cousins they stumbled upon a path leading up into the mountains and hills. Following it, they came upon a beautiful sheltered lake, surrounded by a luscious valley. Settling down, they spent the next hundred years living peacefully in their valley, hunting and fishing, but never leaving the safety of the mountain abode. Over time, they grew more skilled in woodcraft, and stonemasonry, and eventually built themselves a towering temple to the gods, which sat upon the tallest mountain peak they could find. In its shadow, the Valkor found peace.
It was not to last. Seeing the newly built structure that dominated over the nearby landscape, and which was visible from all directions, the tribes which still roamed over the plains noticed, and began wending their way up the old, forgotten path, seeking to steal whatever they could find. Bursting suddenly form the rocks, they slew a great many of the startled and terrified Valkor, who had grown unaccustomed to battle, and the smell of blood. It was everywhere, running through the rough streets, spattered on the rocks, staining the lake. Such wanton death had not been seen in that part of the world for a very long time.
One man alone, the son of the slain chieftain, kept his head. Leading a countercharge, he managed to buy enough time for the survivors to make it to the safety of the temple, whose oaken doors and stone pillars were immune to any attack the tribesmen could muster. After everyone who could cut their way to the gate had come in, the doors banged shut, sealing the tribesmen off from their quarry. After uselessly banging on the gates for a few minutes, the barbarians left, disappointed in the days work.
After some hours had past, the Valkor emerged, shaken but alive. They mourned their dead, and began to slowly rebuild what they had lost.
Many of the surviving warriors wanted revenge, and cried out for assault on their hated foe. But the youngest son of the old chief, warned them of what would happen. “They would destroy us, utterly and completely, if we attack now. Better to wait, regain our strength, and forge new weapons. Then, and only then, can we take the vengeance we seek.” And so it was done.
The Valkor worked, delving deep into the earth to gain iron, and leveling groves of trees to gain wood. They built themselves new weapons, shortswords, and javelins, and made new, heavier armor. Their shields were designed to smash, to batter away at an enemy’s defenses. They smelted bolts of steel, to be fired from great bows placed on carriages. And for 30 whole, years, they worked. Then, on the day of the first attack, the newly crowned chieftain, taking the name Ultorius, meaning “Avenger” led the first ever Valkorian Legion out of the mountains.
After three days of marching, they found the rough dwellings of their enemy. Taking up assault positions on the outside of the small town, the Valkor soldiers waited till first light and then began firing. Ballista bolts raced across the sky, to bury themselves deep into both the homes and bodies of the roving tribe. After multiple volleys, the troops went in the for the kill.
Emerging from the wreckage some hours later, Ultorius led his “legionaries” back to a fortified camp near the mountains. Sending a messenger back for reinforcements, he then turned his newly-tested army back out across the plains, destroying anyone who resisted. It was at this time that they change their name from the tribal “Valkor” to "Valkorians"
After enough land had been “cleared,” the Valkorians who had remained behind left their mountain refuge, never to return. And over the next two decades, while Ultorius led his slowly growing army against the growing tide of resistance to the conquest, the Valkorians settled down, building towns, cities, roads, where once dragons had roamed. After Ultorius died, killed in a battle, his son took his place at the head of the now feared Valkorian Legions. And as the years passed, the Empire slowly grew, gradually coming to a halt. It was known as the Pax Valkora, a time of peace for the sheltered Valkorians, defended by an unbeatable army, and a time of terror for the nearby nations. This peace was not to last. After 4,000 years of conquest, in the reign of the last Terran Emperor, a council of nations, hostile to the Valkorians, was called. They determined to combine their strength, and drive the Valkorians away from their lands, seizing their rightful place as the power-holders of the continent.
Suddenly, striking swiftly, they caught the Valkorians off guard. Unaccustomed to a foe who would stand an fight, the first ring of defense cracked, letting loose a flood of enemy troops into the Empire. The legions fought as best they could, but they were separated, small moving fortresses of men in a sea of even more men. Some were overwhelmed, other broke. It was then, in the Empire’s darkest hour, that Caesarius, first of that name, managed to rally and combine three legions, and cut their way to the sea with all the civilians that could make it. While the rest of the Empire broke and foundered, this one small province managed to keep some small semblance of order intact. Over the next decade, Caesarius led his men in a heroic defense against a never ending horde of enemies, striving to keep the borders free.
The Empire was gone. In its place remained one province, three legions, and the remains of the great ships the Valkorians sailed. The war had lasted for almost 150 years, from the beginning of the Valkorian expansion to the last final assault on their remained outpost.
The barbarian armies seperated, and returned to fighting each other. The Valkor remained in their province, busy rebuilding and upgrading their shattered nation. The descendents of Caesarius became the rulers of the Valkorians, and for generations upon generations the land was peaceful. Valkor merchants traded with their former enemies, and crops grew where once armies walked.
During these years of peace, the Valkor expanded their technology, using first steam, then oil power to improve upon existing systems. Ships grew bigger, and Valkorian merchant vessels roamed the seas in search of trade. The army expanded, adding better artillery and more advanced weapons. The use of the new substance petrol caused a revolution in transport, and engines of varying strengths and abilities were created. Ships were made from iron and steel, and a navy of terrifying capabilities was created. Finally, in the year 57 P.B (Post Bellum/After the War), Gaius Cornelius Caesarius, the 11th Emperor, led five legions across the border, repeating the first Valkor expansion.

The Emperor has wide reaching powers, and has a large hand in military and economic matters, while at the same time keeping an eye at affairs at home.

A Praetor manages the law and court system, appointing judges and sitting at major cases.

A Aedile oversees the construction of residential buildings, and deal with problems of housing and population.

A Queastor is in charge of economy, filling the role of a minister of finance. He is the one who brokers trade deals with other nations.

In addition, a Dux Marum, or Sea Lord, is in charge of ship construction, fleet strategy in time of war, and
the upkeep of port facilities.

Every 3 years, the Emperor will pick new members to fill these positions, and the Senate will vote on his recommendations. While the Senate can pick a candidate of their own, the Emperor can veto their decisions at his discretion.

In addition, the Senate will vote on any major decisions, such as alliances with other nations or whether or not to go to war.

Another position, that of the Dux Castrum, is filled by the eldest male member of House Numitor, and defends the northern border against all outside opponents. He rules the Castrum Valkorium, which is the jump-off point for any Valkorian assault on the mainland.

The Valkorian army is composed of three sections, the main land army, the navy, and the artillery.

THE LAND (Terra)
The land army is made up of legions, each numbering 6,000 men. Each legion is split into ten cohorts, each of 600 men. In turn, each cohort is divided into ten maniples, of 60 men each. One cohort is charged with defending the Eagle, the special banner which is the soul of the legion. While all legions are composed of mostly sword wielding legionaries, most have detachments of auxiliaries from Kaveh, armed with bows and spears.

Legionnaire - The doughty foot soldier. Armed with a short sword, heavy shield, and a breech-loading rifle along with strong, heavy armor on their chests, arms, and shins. The shield is made of wood, with a covering of metal .5 cm thick. They wear red tunics, occasionally cloaks, and red crests on their helmets.

Auxilia - Derived from the Legions, these soldiers serve as skirmishers, using only rifles, some with scopes, short swords, and bayonets. They have only a few pieces of leather armor, and are much faster than the ordinary Valkorian soldier.
Certain special units of Valkorians wield bows of gigantic size, made of steel and wood, and capable of driving a 4 foot arrow through a foot of wood at 300 yards. Only the tallest soldiers are able to wield these weapons, and are part of the Steelguard, the bodyguard of the emperor.

ARTILLERY (Tormenta)

The Valkorian Legions use many different types of cannon to cause havoc from a distance, ranging from light from light field guns, to heavy mortars. 6 or 8 guns make a battery, once of which is attached to each cohort.
After Kaveh returned to the home of their ancestors, Valkoria installed a garrison in the abandoned capitol in case of their return. While there, they found and reverse engineered machine gun models left behind by their erstwhile ally. These have since been attached to every Valkorian unit of decent size, dramatically increasing firepower.

Flak Gun A long barred, .88 caliber artillery weapon that is primarily used to fire upon enemy airborne units. It has an effective range of 15,000 meters, and a maximum range of some 20,000 meters, when fired at enemy aircraft. The shell detonates in a puff of black smoke, scattering fragmentation and shrapnel pieces about. A direct hit will carve through metal, and even a near miss will shred the aerial planes upon which it fires.
Ignis Arcus (FireBow) A ballistae that fires a bolt of Valkorian fire, a substance that burns on water, and can only be quenched with dirt or sand. The fire has a oily texture, and the bow has a range of about 500 yards.

THE SEA (Navis)

Flagship Class Battleship

• 12 18 inch main guns in 4 turrets.
  • 20 6 inch secondaries
  • Dozens of AA guns, .50 caliber chain guns and .88 milliliter flak cannon
  • 30 knots

Neptune Class Battleship

• 8 15 inch main guns in 4 turrets.
  • 10 6 inch, 10 5 inch secondaries.
  • Devastating AA weapons, high rate of fire.
    Heavy Cruiser
  • 9 8 inch main guns in 3 turrets.
  • Large battery of AA turrets
    -33 knots
    Destroyer/Light Cruiser
  • 6 inch guns, torpedoes
  • light AA defenses
  • 39 knots

The Valkorians seek power, and dominion over a large area of land. While being forward, trusting, and honest is the norm, Valkorians are not averse to deception and trickery to fulfill their aims.

Class System
The Plebeian class of merchants, craftsmen, and regular laborers composes the bulk of the population. Traders are common, spending their time selling goods to other cities, or in the market place. Valkorian craftsmen are good at working metals and jewels, while Valkorian shipwrights are most sought after. Skilled in weaving, women often maintain a independent lifestyle by becoming seamstresses, and a few men are tailors.

The Patrician class is made up of the ruling elite, the rich, and the higher ranking officers. These are the men who rule the nation, and from whom the senators are drawn. Every three years, elections are held, and the plebeians elect new senators. Therefore, cruel and unkind patricians are rarely elected to high public office.

Religion
Freedom of religion is somewhat restricted, with most people adhering to either Clairism, or to the Sea God, Neptunus. Other religions are not banned, merely allowed to exist. Priests conduct services of praise at the temples which dot the land. Up until recent times, magic was banned as abhorrent, with the unexplained repercussions of magic being seen as unlawful and terrifying by the practical Valkorians. However, after making allies of the Kavehans, who themselves rely on magic a great deal, the “sea striders” have begun to accept it as a part of life. No Valkorian practices magic, in any form, at the moment, however.
Despite their hereditary distaste for magic, a tale is told of Caesarius, and his meeting with Neptunus. In return for the homage of his people, Caesarius was granted three gifts by the god. They were long life, far beyond that of lesser men, unrivaled shipbuilding skills, and great height. In addition to their homage, all Valkorians, man or woman, must fight in the army of the Sea God when they journey to the next world.

Ceremony
Valkorians are quiet folk, and prefer to remain at home when possible. Despite this, dances, large communal gatherings, and get-togethers are common. The main event of the year is the start of the campaigning season, in early spring, and is celebrated with exuberance by the proud, conquering troops.
Economy
Trade, both by sea and land, between internal cities make up a large part of the money and goods inflow. Export is encouraged, but the Emperors prefer their kingdom to be self sufficient. Large coal mines, steel foundries, and special factories produce materials. Scattered farms,dug into the mountains, and a large amount of fishing villages produces a good yield of food.

Valkorians are incredibly tall, with most reaching over 8 feet in height. Somewhat tanned, and having a muscular build, they are quite strong in comparison with other races. Their hair is usually brown or black, occasionally red. Most people have blue or brown eyes, with a few having green or black. Unlike normal humans, they also have a lifespan of some 150 years, due to a long past arrangement with Neptune.

Kaveh - Prepared to greet warily, due to unknown intentions.

Lavande - Friendly. Trade partner.

Danheim - Hostile. Lawless barbarians.

Roklavia - Good riddence.

Kleriel Imperium - Hostile. Hopes for peace.

Maruba - Hostile.

Lasenor - Rumors. Allied with Maruba?

Ebonsgrasp - Allied. Upset at lack of aid.

Kaldaross - Allied. Upset at lack of aid.

Keldugnir - Allied. Upset at lack of aid.

Caesarii - The royal family. Descended from from Caesarius, the savior of the people. The Royalty live the longest of all Valkorians, the oldest being almost 300 years old.

Ultorii - Military power of Valkoria. Almost all Dux Marii have been drawn from this house.

Balbii - Old house, mostly politicians.

Lucii - The one remaining family that lives completely cut off from the sea. They dwell in the very center of the nation, in the center of a great lake.

Mehemii - A great merchant family, controls a large fleet of trade ships.

Numitor - Family of the Dux Castrum. Second of the two houses whose family members have exceptionally long life.

Emperor Gaius Cornelius Caesarius. Official short title of ‘Caesar’. ( @SirGeorgar )
The highest title in the land, Gaius is tired of peace, and has decided to use his new army and connections to make the Empire stronger, larger, and more respected.

Felix Mehemii
Wandering Venandi, one of the most dangerous men in Allura.

Titus Numitor
Former leader of Northern Valkorian legions, now in exile. Whereabouts unknown.

I must admit it’s a great honour to know that you have decided to name your empire after me.
So am I like your deity or maybe your great ruler? (Either way is fine with me) If you wish to send me a message we can discuss the finer details.
I look forward to your correspondence
Valk Orian

Hello there.
It just happens to be a massive coincidence that I named my faction like your username. And no, we have our own gods.

I see what you are trying to say however I am referred to as “The Thrifty Boi” and I can even have multiple people back me up on the this claim. Therefore as you have stated that your people as “Thrifty”, I am inclined to believe that I have a deeper connection than what you are currently disclosing. Am I possible the “Thrifty” DNA source of your people, whch makes a father to your empire?

So under the Freedom of Information Act I wish you to public realise any information that could mean I am the father of your people.

P.S. I am happy to appear on the Jeremy Kyle show if this would help.

You’re sincerely
Valk Orian

No culture? Race? Religion? Economy? Law? Tech? Just military (+government) and their military past?

he likes prefuk and prefuk accessories

Greatly expanded history, added economics and culture (Thanks for the tip/reminder Ara!), and altered military. I can only expand history so much until the new world launches and new actions occur. If you guys have any (serious) ideas please talk to me on the Alluran RP discord.

Oh my god, i cant wait till i post my faction lore now. We will be best of friends for sure, i just know it xD
Gj btw

Added a small description of them as a race, will eventually post a pic when I can find one…

Edited military, slightly expanded diplomacy and important people, just waiting for the world to launch so I can continue writing. This is the last update ( I think…) until the creative world launches.

Updated and expanded the Bureaucracy. (Thanks Ario!)

Changed History, changed Religion, expanded Diplomacy, and reworked Military

Redid Military and Naval for the last time.

its never the last time…
there is always something more that can be added…
always something that could be better worded…
it is a curse…

Slightly edited History.

Added a Great Houses section, updated Structure, and added a new Important Character. Also updated the titles of various people.

Edited and fixed a few mistakes, expanded and brought the DIplomacy section up to date.

Edited, brought diplomacy up to date, added a few things to Culture (more to come soon). Working on backstory for certain characters.

Diplomacy, Military, characters.

@staff defunct, and too cluttered.