[RP Episode] [CANON] The Shifting Tides of War

Lord Praprismus looked out from his tower of solitude. Far below him, where the tawny surf crashed against the shore, he could see the grey giants of the Ultorii fleet, sitting in silent majesty. He hurriedly shut the window, and headed back inside.

The home of Lord Praprismus was situated atop a mountain, like most Valkorian fortresses, and commanded a small view of the surrounding area. The walls offered some defense, while the people scrambled for a living inside. It was not a happy place.

Happy or not, it was valuable. The final stopping point for traders going to nearby Lavande, Praprismus exacted a heavy toll, growing fat off their profits. Little of it trickled down to his people, but that was beneath his worry. The second valuable thing about the miserable place was the harbor, big enough to hold large ships, and almost directly behind the Imperial territory held by the Emperor…

The guards formed up, taking unobtrusive positions inside the castle, leaving the gate open, while Praprismus waited in the courtyard for the inevitable guests. If played right, more gold would enter into the coffers of the despot.

@Ariovistas

Lord Lucius Ultorius, Magister Marum and Protector of Puffin Isle was, for lack of a better word, peeved. Here he was, ascending to a hilltop fastness his artillery could level in an hour, coming to please a lord who had never done anything except sit on fat pillows with his fatter behind, stealing dues from merchants and lording over his little kingdom. At court, Lord Praprismus had always been an exceedingly irritating man whose air of self-importance never failed to offend. Now, in times of war, he was bound to have become even more intolerable.

Behind him, the lockstep march of the Ultorii family guards resounded off the steep rock slope flanking the path. No Praprismus warrior had shown himself yet, but as the company rounded a corner they came in view of the fastness.

It was, considering everything going on, not at all impressive.

Praprismus walked forward to greet Lord Ultor.

”Welcome, my old acquaintance, to my home!”

He cackled, waving his hand grandly at the shoddy buildings.

”As you can see, we have prepared a great deal for your coming; I hope your climb wasn’t too difficult…”

Looking down his nose at the pudgy man, Lucius snorted with scorn. “I can see that, Magnus. Rather than having to suffer you inflicting your hospitality on us, I would prefer we got down to business straight away.”

Magnus Praprismus folded his hands and chuckled.

”Of course of course, up front as always…come in.”
He led the grou past the sloppily dressed legionaries on watch, and into the great hall. Several long tables had been set up, and food laid out, a sumptuous feast of rich foods, in stark constraint with the outside township.

Seating Lucius by his side at the head table, and after eating the preliminary rounds of food, Magnus looked at his guest.

”So, what is it, Lucius? What brings you to my hall? I knew your coming, but not the cause.”